Words of Wisdom February 1 to 5

Standard

obstaclesTheme – Overcoming Obstacles With Positive Action

Select one of the quotes from the words of wisdom this week, copy and paste the quote in the response, and then write at least two thoughtful sentences in response. You are welcome to either agree or disagree with the statement. References to your own experiences are welcome.

Nothing is so much to be feared as fear.” (Henry David Thoreau) 

“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.” (Seneca) 

“Self-pity its early stages is as snug as a feather mattress.  Only when it hardens does it become uncomfortable.” (Maya Angelou)

76 thoughts on “Words of Wisdom February 1 to 5

1. Mealyiah

Nothing is so much to be feared as fear.” (Henry David Thoreau) I think this quote means that nothing is scarier than you worst fear. Like if you go face your worst fear you going to be losing your mind you going to be really scared. So this is what I think this quote means.

2. Jayson

I think this means that you don’t have to fear. You have to be scared of something.

3. brady

Self-pity its early stages is as snug as a feather mattress. Only when it hardens does it become uncomfortable.” (Maya Angelou) I think this means that feeling sorry for yourself might feel bad but if you keep doing it it will only get worse.Also,it means that nothing willl get better if you don’t stop feeling sorry for yourself.

4. Meghan

Nothing is so much to be feared as fear.” (Henry David Thoreau I choose this quote because it means that you shouldn’t have fear in your life the only thing to fear is fear. I think we should listen to this quote because if we have fear it would be hard to over come stuff.

5. Deven

I think that this means that we dont dare if we think something is easy. I also think that this means that even if we dont think it is difficult to do something someone else might think that it is difficult.

6. trevor

“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; this quote means we do not dare that they are difficult.” (Seneca) Something is only difficult if you think it is. If you believe it is possible, do it

7. Azul

“Nothing is so much to be feared as fear.” (Henry David Thoreau)
    The only thing we should fear is actual fear. You should overcome your small fears.

8. kk3618

Nothing is so much to be feared as fear.” (Henry David Thoreau) If you are fearful of something you will never accomplish it.If you are not fearful of anything then you can do anything you just have to believe.

9. Zach

“Self-pity its early stages is as snug as a feather mattress. Only when it hardens does it become uncomfortable.” (Maya Angelou) I believe this quote is true since self-pity can feel good at first, but over a period of time it get bad. Dont have self pity, its bad

10. *-{Emma}-*

This quote means that if you do not try you will not succeed. If you try and take a risk once in a while it will pay off you just have to keep trying and don’t give up.

11. DAVID

Another quote: “The only thing to fear is fear itself.” Fear will bring you down if you let it consume you. You must remain confident to succeed.

12. steven

“Nothing is so much to be feared as fear.” (Henry David Thoreau) This is true. Because the thing that most people fear is fear itself. Or people are afraid of spiders. Because nobody likes spiders just walking around there house.

13. diego

Nothing is so much to be feared as fear.” (Henry David Thoreau).This quote means fear is nothing as much as fear.This quote is definitely true all the time.

14. Ryan

I think that this quote means that people fear to many things in life. You shouldn’t fear as much or just overcome those fears.

15. Brandon

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    I agree with this statement and its meaning. I think this means we should try really hard to do something if we don’t try,

16. Alyssa

“Nothing is so much to be feared as fear.” (Henry David Thoreau) I think this quote means that the most scary thing is fear. For example, when you face your worst fear you are fighting to win. But you might be super scared because it is your fear. I think this quote means that and I agree with this quote as well.

17. Nate

This quote means that you shouldn’t fear anything but fear. This means that there is nothing to be scared about but fear.

18. Nicole

I think this statement means a lot because it is true people don’t try things a lot of the time because they are afraid to do it. like for example you might be afraid to do something. One example is you might be afraid to take a test but once its over you feel fine.

19. “It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
    From my understanding of this it means you cant just let something go because it looks difficult. You have to attempt it for it to be difficult, otherwise it’ll be something you’ll never complete, because you chose to never attempt it.

20. ms2149

Self-pity its early stages is as snug as a feather mattress. Only when it hardens does it become uncomfortable.” (Maya Angelou) this quote is true because we can only feel so bad about the situation for so long. Then people will start thinking that you should let it go and they won’t want to hang out with you anymore.

21. Alissa

“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.” (Seneca) This quote is very complex if you really think about it. It also means that even though something is hard, it doesn’t mean that we aren’t capable of doing whatever it is. Lastly, this quote can inspire others to not just give up and to keep trying at whatever is hard for them.

22. rl0075

“Self-pity its early stages is as snug as a feather mattress. Only when it hardens does it become uncomfortable.” (Maya Angelou) You should never have self-pity. It just gives gives you an excuse to fail. If you let things drag on it will just get worse.

23. Trishaal

“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.” (Seneca) I think it mean that we don’t do difficult things. That we only do easy things.

24. Nicole

“Self-pity its early stages is as snug as a feather mattress. Only when it hardens does it become uncomfortable.” (Maya Angelou) This makes a lot of sense because if you say something rude to another person, you might be fine with it at first. Later on you may think about how the other person felt after what you said to them and you started to feel bad. They are saying that a new mattress feels nice and conformable but as it gets older and you sink into it, it gets harder.

25. hg2578

“Self-pity its early stages is as snug as a feather mattress. Only when it hardens does it become uncomfortable.” (Maya Angelou)I like this quote because its true.when you have self pity then it feels like your good but when you have it in you for a long time it gets uncomfortable and hard like a feathered mattress.If it gets worn out it’ll poke you.

26. eu3718

Nothing is so much to be feared as fear.” (Henry David Thoreau)I think this means that you shouldn’t be scared of anything and if you are it should only be of fear.You should also try to overcome your fears.