Words of Wisdom May 9-13

Standard

nation is honest

Select one of the quotes from the words of wisdom this week, copy and paste the quote in the response, and then write at least two thoughtful sentences in response. You are welcome to either agree or disagree with the statement. References to your own experiences are welcome.

“The life of a nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.” (Frederick Douglass)

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere.  No good is obtained by contributing to its growth.  Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II)

“Everyone should practice true humanity toward his fellow men; on that depends the future of mankind”   (Albert Schweitzer)

50 thoughts on “Words of Wisdom May 9-13

1. Adrianna

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II)

This quote is great because you do not have to hurt someone when your angry or frustrated and it also does not get resolved. The best way is by talking it out. This way no one gets hurt and it will eventually be resolved.

2. ainsley

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II) I like this quote because it gives the message that no good will come out of violence. Talking it out may take longer, but if you talk to someone about a problem instead of kicking them, you should be able to resolve the problem better.

3. Chase

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II) I agree with this quote because I think it is a quote we should live by. I think its good because if you beat someone up your still going to be angry about it and you’re going to make that person that you beat up more mad too.

4. giselle

The life of a nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.” (Frederick Douglass)This means that if your not honest ,truthful,or virtuous then our life is not going to be so secure. This also means that our world could be filled with hatred and lies.And everything wouldn’t be as easy as we want it to be.

5. Brandon

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II) I agree with this quote because violence will lead to many other bad things to happen. I also agree with this quote because if you talk about it and get to the person that did whatever he did he might not do it again instead of hitting or kicking them and making it worse.

6. Dylan

Everyone should practice true humanity toward his fellow men; on that depends the future of mankind” (Albert Schweitzer). This quote shows how you should respect others day in and day out. This also shows you that you need to do this for as long as you can live.

7. Anushka

The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II)

I agree. Violence is not the way to solve a problem. Meet somewhere, and talk about it respectfully. There’s no need for violence. Just see, no violence is always the solution.

8. Kyle

By trying to end violence with violence, you end the current act of violence, but create more in the process. By trying to end violence with dialogue, you end the current violence, and stop more from being created.

9. ca0105

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II) What he is trying to say is that you should say that their is a problem and try solve it without violence but with words. My friends and I don’t really fight but if we do fight it’s with word not fists.

10. Marianna

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II). What the quote is saying is that we shouldn’t fight we should talk things out. Fighting isn’t the answer.

11. Miranda

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II) This quote shows good self control. Instead of dealing with your troubles through violence, use your words. Not mean words, but use self control , like if someone is mean, tell them that their behavior is wrong and they need to stop. Don’t use violence as an answer.

12. Jordan

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II) This quote is important because causing violence over talking about the problem doesn’t solve it. This quote is also important because violence will never solve a problem it will only cause another one.

13. Cali

“The life of a nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.” (Frederick Douglass). I think this is the best because it is very meaningful and very true. If every one was honest, truthful, and virtuous then nothing would go wrong. A life would be amazing if everyone was honest, truthful, and virtuous.

14. Khalif

It means we should not fight about our problems we should talk them out because fighting only makes it worse.One time I was mad at my sister but instead of fighting I talked with her.

15. Kathryn

I think this quote is so true because whenever I get mad at my friend and we fight and say mean things to each other it doesn’t solve anything. When I just say sorry I didn’t mean to say that or do that then they forgive me or I forgive them and where friends again.

16. Deven

dshfdsgdfg fdsg dfsg dsfg fdsg dfsgljhsailjfh ko;jasjiph jhskjafhj hgsjhfjise gaiugfsdhb wegu ghisif uiasgeh jhwebfg uiajdfu gvsuyu ieuigrfu sejfbi sdjhf kjlhsdahf usabfib uibfshudbf hwebayifbweyiabf uiwefb uwaebfywebgafuwbeayifbw

17. DAVID

“Everyone should practice true humanity toward his fellow men; on that depends the future of mankind” (Albert Schweitzer)
    Remember this when you are fighting or arguing with someone. Think to yourself, “where will this get us?”

18. Jayson

I think this means that you have to do things that are right. If not you are not going to have a bright future.

19. steven

“Everyone should practice true humanity toward his fellow men; on that depends the future of mankind” (Albert Schweitzer) This is true. Because if you just kill everybody there will be no humans left. Or if they treat you bad then you will go away from humanity and not talk to anyone again.

20. Eddie

I choose this quote because I think it is saying that being honest and truthful is always the right way to go. Also that our nation is at its best when we are all honest.

21. Cole

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II)This quote is saying how violence has no positive effect only negative. Only cruelty in growing by violence occurring.

22. Brylie

“Everyone should practice true humanity toward his fellow men; on that depends the future of mankind” (Albert Schweitzer) I think this quote is trying to tell us that you should always be kind to everyone. The future of mankind can be ruined if we don’t start practicing kindness.

23. brady

“Everyone should practice true humanity toward his fellow men; on that depends the future of mankind” (Albert Schweitzer)I think this means that everyone should make sure they are humane to people and themselves. It will help with yourself and others attitude.

24. Mealyiah

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II) I think this is about how if you use violence to solve your problem thats not going to get you anywhere. You shouldn’t use violence to solve your problem. I you should talk it out.

25. diego

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II).This quote means that violence doesn’t help anything it just makes it worst.This also means talk about your problems with somebody don’t use violence as a scapegoat.

26. Alyssa D'Ambrogia

I agree with this quote, because this quote is saying that violence leads only to something worse, not to a better situation. Violence does not solve anything, it makes situations worse.

27. eu3718

The life of a nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.” (Frederick Douglass)I think this means that the world will stay peaceful if everyone is honest and kind to others and them selves.I think it is a true quote because people do need to be kind to one another ad be respectful.

28. Meghan

“Everyone should practice true humanity toward his fellow men; on that depends the future of mankind” (Albert Schweitzer) I agree with this because everyone should be nice. If your nice to people good things will come back to you.

29. brynna

“Everyone should practice true humanity toward his fellow men; on that depends the future of mankind” (Albert Schweitzer). Be true to yourself and other people. What you do depends on your own future so make it good.

30. Deven

I think that this quote means that if you are to be violent you aren’t going to anything good and you will not be able to do anything productive. I also think that this means that its better to talk out things instead of being violent and doing something wrong. That’s what I think this WOW means this week.

31. trevor

“The life of a nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.” (Frederick Douglass) I like this quote because it helps make our nation a better place. It means when we are virtuous, we are secure.

32. Jace

I wrote about this quote because it is really interesting. I think this is really interesting because it is saying when you are dishonest you are just digging yourself into a deeper hole.

33. Wyatt

Yes you should seek through the roads of dialogue and not violence. But sometimes violence is the answer. If people are hurting you, you can push them out of the way. But you SHOULD NOT seek violence.

34. trinity :)

I think this quote is saying that if our government is not honest to us then they are hurting everything else. They can hurt all of us if they lie to us, they need to be honest in order for the U.S to be a secure place to be.

35. kk3618

“The life of a nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.” (Frederick Douglass) Always be truthful to people you love. I see people lie every day and it makes me sad.

36. Ryan

I agree with this quote because it is true. You should be kind to others and do good things because that is what holds us together.

37. michael

“The life of a nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.” (Frederick Douglass)I* think this means that we have to be patriots. we have to be respectful to our country. america is the best be nice!

38. Zach

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II) I like this quote since it is very true. Violence is almost never the answer, dialogue is the better choice of the two by far.

39. Nicole

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II) This shows that violence leads no where, which is true because violence only makes things worse. Nothing good happens if you try to solve things with violence, which is why you should use your words. You should look for the way that involves talking it through with the person instead of fighting about it.

40. Noble

Humanity in this situation is the act of being respectful, and treating others how we wish to be treated. How we treat others will determine how the society will end up, and whether or not we succeed or not.

41. Nate

This quote means that everyone should be nice to everyone because the more nice/peaceful we are now means how peaceful we will be in the future. We as kids should be mice so in the future the world is more peaceful.

42. Kasey

The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II). I like this quote because I believe most of the time violence leads nowhere. I also think this quote is very well written. That is why I like this quote.

43. ms2149

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II). This quote is so true. Violence is never the answer. Always solve a problem the right way which does not include violence. It is the kind way to do things that end up with the greatest results.

44. Alyssa

I think this quote is true. Violence leads to nowhere, there is other roads or ways to growing into a better person.

45. rl0075

“The life of a nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.” (Frederick Douglass) This is a good quote in my opinion because if the nation lies to us we won’t be unified. If we aren’t virtuous we will do things in hate which will lead to wars. Honesty is the best virtue.

46. Brandon

“The cruelty of violence leads nowhere. No good is obtained by contributing to its growth. Seek the roads of dialogue and not those of violence.” (Pope John Paul II)This shows that violence should not be supported. Violence leads nowhere but for people to be injured for no reason.

47. TTBF

“Everyone should practice true humanity toward his fellow men; on that depends the future of mankind” This quote means that there should be no evil from person to person. This shows that people should be nice to everyone and the world would be a much better place.

48. Alissa

“The life of a nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.” (Frederick Douglass) I think this quote means that when the world is faithful and good, then it makes it a safe place. I agree, because without violence it’ll make the world a place to feel safe. But with violence, it’d be a place to feel scared and not safe.

49. nc0506

This is a good quote because we can not trust our nation if our nation is not honest, truthful, and virtuous with us. We will trust our nation a lot more if our nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.

50. brady

“Everyone should practice true humanity toward his fellow men; on that depends the future of mankind” (Albert Schweitzer)I think this means that we need to practice being good people for the sake of the future earth.Also for the sake of future lives.