School Without School

Standard

School is empty; school is in session. We are social distancing, staying in our homes, washing our hands, and finding a new way of life. Days into our Spring Break, the coronavirus spread in the US, particularly Washington, California and New York. Within days, March Madness was canceled, NBA games were canceled, Spring Training was canceled and even Disneyland closed its doors.

The two weeks after our Spring Break, students did work packets at home while the teachers learned how to teach online. Staff meetings are now held via Zoom. Teachers each work in their own homes, figuring out how to move to learn online. They are learning about making videos while wishing they could be back in class with the students. So here we go with our first week of lessons shared only through Schoology, wondering how we will all adapt to the new situation.

38 thoughts on “School Without School

1. JD

Hello my name is JD, I live in California. We are in a crisis right now and we need to stay calm and stay put because there are a lot of doctors working on a vaccine. That is sad that the NBA games and March Madness got canceled. How do you feel about Disneyland closing down?

2. Maria Gibbs

Hi Mrs. Colbert. You talked about how a lot of big events got canceled from coronavirus. My spring break trip to Maui got canceled. Did any trips or events you were planning on going to get canceled?

3. Leticia

Hello, my name is Leticia and am currently not in school, school. This whole pandemic is teaching us students and teachers all new ways of learning but in my opinion I’d rather be in school. And it is crazy that this virus has lead us into closing everything and you know when Disneyland is closed it’s a big deal. I’d rather be in school but how about you?

4. Kaleb

Hello, I’m Kaleb and I live in California I like to play sports and play video games. Some sports I play are Football, Basketball and Soccer. I’m not in to soccer as much anymore but I used to be. Some video games I play are Modern Warfare, Madden, 2k, and gta. What sports and games do you like to play?

5. Hillary

Hi, I am Hillary and I am trying distance learning from the perspective of a student. It is feels crazy to have all the sports stop (NBA, MLB, NHL, ect). As frustrating as distance learning is, I think it will help us learn new ways to use the computer and communicate with others. How do you think this will affect school in the future?

6. Tyler

Hello, I’m Tyler, I live in California. Yeah, It’s crazy how fast the coronavirus spread here. When do you think this whole thing will end?

7. Anonymous

Hello , Mrs. Colbert
    I really liked your article , how are you adapting to the new online side of things .

8. colin vonarx

Hello ,
    Mrs. Colbert how are you liking this new online side of school personally I am finding it a bit fun because we can do work at our own pace .

9. nm0372

Hello, my name is Nicolas and I live in California. I see that teachers are working at home and students have to now do work online. I am a student and I have to do work online. Did you know that if you’re healthy, a disposable mask won’t keep you safe from the disease. How are you doing during quarantine?

10. Jiya

Hello, i’m Jiya. I live in California, this new virus has turned into a crazy pandemic, there are a lot of rumors that I’ve been hearing but, in my own personal opinion I feel that everyone needs to take a deep breath and just practice good hygiene so we can slow down the pace of people getting infected. Stay at home and stay safe!

11. Dane

Hello, my names Dane and I live in California. I can’t believe they cancelled all NBA games. I’m trying my best not to go outside. How long do you think this will last.

12. Nubia

Hello im Nubia, I live in California. It is really sad to see what is going on today with our world and the huge shutdown because of the coronavirus. It is difficult to stay at your house while not seeing your friends or being able to be close to someone because of social distancing. A lot of our family plans got cancelled, did any of your trips get cancelled?

13. Evan

Hi, I’m Evan and I’m a YouTuber/Gamer. I am trying to adjust to distance learning. While it is fun to be at home during distance learning, it makes you miss school. Are you missing school?

14. Trey

Hi Mrs. Colbert, i’m Trey and I live in California. I don’t like staying in my house that much, but there are a lot of fun things to do. What do you like to do while stuck at home?

15. chad

Hello, I’m Chad and I live in California. Being in quarantine is pretty boring and honestly I miss school, but, like seth was saying there is some good to come out of it. What are your annoyances with quarantine so far and what do you like about it?

16. Abby

Hi Mrs. Colbert. My name is Abby, and I live in California. I am not currently in school due to the Coronavirus. I think this whole coronavirus and social distancing situation is crazy. One of my friends flew out to Florida during break to go Disneyworld and a couple other places. Disneyworld was closed because of the threat of the pandemic. Did you know that Disneyworld has only been closed three times since it opened; after the assassination of John F. Kennedy, 911 and the Twin Towers, and a huge earthquake that I can’t remember the name to?

17. Anonymous

Hello, I’m Michael, and i live in California. Being in Quarantine is really boring. Even video games aren’t fun any more. The only thing i can do is watch TV. enough about me how about you.

18. Cheyenne

Hello, my name is Cheyenne and I live in the state that has the sixth most coronavirus cases. I see that with the social distancing more people are outside walking around. I think it is crazy how within weeks the coronavirus could spread so rapidly. Did you know that California has 22,348 cases of coronavirus. Did any events that you wanted to go to get canceled?

19. Nico

Nico

Hi, im Nico and i live in California. Its crazy about what is happening right now all around the world. Its hard to stay inside during this pandemic. Im really bored and have nothing to do. I wish the NCAA didn’t canceled march madness and the NBA canceling the rest of the season. When do you think shelter in place will be lifted?

20. AJ

Hi, I’m AJ and I’m in California. I have a Disneyland Annual Pass that I cannot use because coronavirus closed Disneyland. I am playing video games like Fortnite and Outlast. Do you play video games?

21. Austin

Hi, I’m Austin and I live in California. It’s crazy here and all around the world with this virus. Everyone just needs to calm down and take a deep breath because doctors are working 24/7 to find a cure. I’m happy that at least I can still go fishing but it’s kind of boring just going by myself. I’ve been catching some Mondos because of the season. Have you found something to do while in quarantine?

22. Sophia

Hello Mrs.Colbert! I see how you talked about schools and theme parks closing because of the coronavirus outbreak. My trip to Los Angeles I was going to take over my spring break period had gotten canceled as well. Is your family doing well and did any of your trips get canceled because of the outbreak?

23. rs0192

Hello, my name is Rylan and I live in California. It is really crazy that this is going on right now. It sucks to stay inside all day doing nothing but playing video games. I wished the NHL didn’t cancel the season. How does it feel to be h9me all day?

24. Giana

Hello, I’m Giana and I live in California. My Spring training, like you said, has been canceled. This has been hard because practicing at home is hard. What is the most difficult part of this for you?

25. Jasmin

Hi, I’m Jasmin and I live in California. I typically have practice throughout the week but due to this virus i have been stuck working out at home. I don’t mind doing this but it is a very different environment then what I am used to when I am with my team.

26. gabe

Hello my name is Gabe i live in california its a bummer not being able to hang out with friends because of the quarantine and hvaing to be home schooled for the rest of the year because of the quarantine.

27. juan

Hi my name is Juan and i live in California lots of sports for me have been canceled. It is very hard to practice social distancing and it is almost over we have to hang in there .

28. Zach

Hi I’m Zach I live in California. All of this Corona virus stuff is a little weird and I never really expected it to get this serious. Its been a little bit difficult working at home mainly because I’m new to this type of work. But its interesting how do you feel about this whole situation?

29. Benjamin Kraft

Yeah this in not the most fun but it gives us more family time And i get to walk my dogs more. It does stink that we can not go to places Like the beach or other fun stuff. But we have our family to hang out with.

30. Trent Boro

Hello, I’m Trent Boro and I live in California. I see you like watching scary shows on Netflix. But I like to watch gameshows. Richard Dawson was the first host of Family Feud. Do you like watching gameshows?

31. Carly

Hello, I’m Carly and I live in California. Being stuck in the house has been driving me crazy. I think its sad that I dont get see my friends right now but hopefully this all dies down soon and we all will get back to normal. When do you think this will be over?

32. Evan

Hi Ms. Colbert. Despite the many negative things we are hearing, it’s important to always stay as positive as possible. One thing that I am enjoying about being stuck inside is being able to do school work quickly, and mostly on my own time.

33. Devan Morel

Hello, my name is Devan and I live in California. I don’t mind the fact that we are in quarantine, but I wouldn’t mind going back to school. how do you feel about the quarantine?

34. Riley

hello, i’m Riley and i live in California. Being stuck in the house is driving me insane. This stinks because i have to be home schooled all summer because of quarantine.

35. kekoa

Hello, my name is Kekoa i’m from California. I heard you like
    horror movies. I also like scary movies because of how it makes me feel. What is your favorite horror movie?

36. drew

Hi my name is Drew I live in california. I heard you like baseball well I like baseball to because your always moving. What is your opion on baseball.

37. Tyler

Hello, my name is Tyler and I live in California. Quarantine is pretty boring and I really just want to go back to school and be able to go do things. But I know there are sick people from this so I get the quarantine but I am ready for it to be over.

38. Austin

Hello, I’m Austin and I live in California. It’s kind of unfortunate that all basketball was cancelled but personally
    I haven’t really been affected by the corona virus besides being bored most of the time. Do you watch basketball?